Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Another Head Injury

Any time Ryan's school calls me I get an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach because I know it can't be good. So far we have only had a couple calls for Ryan...once he spilled his entire lunch on the ground, and more recently, his eyes had swollen shut from allergies.

Thursday morning I saw the name of his school on my phone screen and got nervous. They were calling to tell me that Ryan had run into a pole during recess and hurt his head. I immediately thought of when he got his skull fracture 3 years ago. Remember that? http://nullybabyblog.blogspot.com/2014/03/skull-fracture.html

Apparently Ryan had been running to catch a ball and didn't see the pole until it was too late. His friends said he flipped and landed on the concrete on his stomach. The nurse let me talk to him on the phone and he sounded fine. He told me his head was hurting just a little, and the ice pack they gave him was helping. I asked the nurse to call me back if he complained of the pain worsening.

An hour later the school called again. Ryan had thrown up and his head was feeling worse. No good! Also, I found out that his bump was just an inch or so above the spot where his skull fractured.

I picked him up and took him to the doctor.
She said that because of how tired he seemed and the fact that he threw up, he most likely had a mild concussion. This meant no jumping, running, watching TV, playing video games, listening to music, or reading. Just like when he fractured his skull, except this time he only had to avoid those activities for a few days. With the skull fracture he couldn't run or jump or climb for 6 weeks!

Later at home we settled in for a relaxing game of Candy Land.
Ryan threw up again Friday morning but he has been fine since then.

No more head injuries, ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment