Monday, June 16, 2014

Lucas' 2-Year Checkup

I took Lucas in for his 2-year doctor checkup last week. Here are his growth stats:

Weight: 26 lbs, 3 oz (27%)
Height: 33.25 inches (27%)
Head: 19 inches (39%)

Lucas' growth has definitely slowed down, which I think is normal for this age. At his 18-month checkup he weighed 26 lbs, so he gained a whopping 3 oz over the past 6 months. My boys just don't like to eat! But they sure like to move and burn calories.

Developmentally, Lucas is right on track. His gross motor skills are beyond his age. He can correctly name some colors and his speech is really starting to pick up. I'm not worried about any of those areas.
The one thing that still concerns me is how much Lucas still hits his head against the wall. (It has been going on for a year now). Add in his horrible, frequent tantrums, and I am feeling really frustrated by his behavior. By the end of the day I often feel like either ripping my hair out or just sitting down to cry. Lucas's behavior has become so exhausting for me, both physically and mentally. I have been meeting with a child psychologist to try to figure out why he is behaving this way and what we can do about it. Together we have brainstormed a few ideas to help with the head-banging and also to minimize Lucas harming himself or others during tantrums. I updated the doctor on what we have tried and he encouraged me to continue meeting with the psychologist. I am hoping something starts to work soon, and I may write a post about it once things improve.

So overall it was a good visit with the doctor because I felt like he really listened and gave me his honest advice about Lucas. The fact that Lucas tests at or above his age level for every developmental category is very encouraging. Now if we can just move past this difficult phase, I'll feel a bit more ready for the next baby to come along!

No comments:

Post a Comment