Friday, February 3, 2012

Foodie Friday: Homemade Zuppa Toscana

I had the pleasure of having lunch this week with my Grandma at the Olive Garden. We both had the "Zuppa Toscana" and agreed that it was delicious! Just the right amount of spice and heartiness from the sausage and potatoes, but lightened up a bit with the healthy kale. So when the manager came out and asked us how our meal was, I promptly asked if they shared their recipes with customers. And he promptly replied "No". But then I complimented him on how tasty the soup was, and he ended up giving me a verbal recipe right there on the spot! My Grandma and I stopped by Whole Foods after lunch, and you can guess what I bought. All the ingredients to make my own homemade Zuppa Toscana! Here is what I came up with:







Homemade Zuppa Toscana


1 lb Spicy Italian Pork Sausage


1/2 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flake


1 tsp Crushed Garlic


4 Cups Chicken Broth


2 Cups Water


2 Russet Potatoes, sliced into thin half moons


1/2 Cup Heavy Cream


1 Head Kale, stripped from stem and chopped




1) Brown sausage in large pot. Add red pepper flake and garlic once browned.



2) Add chicken broth and water. Bring to boil.



3) Add sliced potatoes. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes.



4) Turn off head and add heavy cream and kale. Season to taste with salt.
Pretty simple, right? It tasted really good. Not quite the same as Olive Garden's soup, but pretty darn close!

No comments:

Post a Comment