Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Weak Lungs

I feel like it's been so long since I've blogged, almost like I lost touch with the world there for a while. And I kind of did, being sick for the past 2 weeks. Here's a recap of recent happenings in Nully Land.
1) We are all finally getting better. Ryan is still on antibiotics, which seem to be helping with his cough. But Adam and I in particular have noticed we have no lung capacity. Even the simplest activity leaves me out of breath and needing to sit down. The other day in Target Adam had to take a break from pushing the shopping cart because he was winded. This bronchitis stuff is not fun!
2) Ryan is officially weaned, as of about 3 weeks ago. It's been tough not nursing him while he was sick, because in the past that always provided him comfort. He has been making up for it by sticking his hand down my shirt at every opportunity.
3) Our house is a mess. Not surprising, since we've been sick. But lately it feels like I just can't stay on top of it. The minute I get things looking decent, hurricane Ryan comes through again. And I'm just talking about straightening up and keeping up with the laundry and dishes. Dusting? Swiffering? Forget about it.
4) Ryan's new favorite activity is hitting me. Not sure yet how to handle this. Timeouts are an option, although he seems a tad young for them. The word NO means nothing to him. I'm trying to at least teach him to give me a hug after he does something mean to me.
5) I have barely cooked at all in the past 2 weeks and I really miss it. I need to get back into the swing of things soon with some new recipes, once my energy is back. More about that on Friday.

2 comments:

  1. I put Maeve down immediately when she hits me, and I say, No hitting, that hurts Mommy, get down. Usually she's freaking out about her teeth hurting or something, and is upset that I put her down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you guys have been sick. No fun!

    Makenzie started hitting for like a day, but then I started time-outs and she stopped. I sit her on a chair in the corner for one minute. I tell her, with a stern voice and an exaggerated frown on my face, "Hitting Mommy hurts and makes Mommy very sad. You need to sit here for a minute." Then I walk out of the room for one minute. The first time she was really sad but now she's not sad but she sits there. When I come get her I tell her, "Mommy loves you very much but you are not allowed to hit (or whatever the offense is)." I tell her to say sorry and give me a hug and she does it. Then I say, "Is Kenzie going to hit Mommy?" sometimes she says, "yes" because she doesn't fully understand the question but I say, "No, Kenzie does not hit Mommy." Then I ask her again until she says, "No hit Mommy." They understand a lot more than they let on.

    She usually gets a time out for throwing a fit and not allowing me to change her diaper or get her dressed. It has worked to give her a second to wind down and sort of restart. I'm not saying that it'll work for every kid but works for us. :)

    ReplyDelete