Monday, November 21, 2011

Timeout

This is Ryan in timeout right now. He threw his cup at my head. I gave him a warning. He stared at me for a minute. Then picked it up, smiled, and threw it at me again.
I have been pretty darn consistent with timeouts for the past week or so. But see that look on Ryan's face? He enjoys timeout. In fact, when I say "OK now you're going in timeout" he immediately heads over to his playpen. Ha! And when he's in timeout, he just stands quietly waiting for me. Or he bounces around, giggling to himself. Something about this doesn't seem right.....

1 comment:

  1. When Rembrandt needs discipline I get right down to his face and say "no" strongly and firmly while I stare at his eyes. Then I sit him down in the middle of the floor and ignore him while he cries. If he gets up and tries to find me again (and I'm still not sure he understands he did something wrong) I'll sit him down again in the same spot and walk away. He usually cries and comes over to me for a hug.
    Then I look him in the eye again and say what he did wrong and that he should not do it. Some days "no" is word almost spoken the most. I try to balance it with lots of encouragement for the good stuff he does.
    -adina

    ReplyDelete