Wednesday, August 24, 2011

To the Glory

I hear it when I'm in the trenches of motherhood. The times when I'm wrestling Ryan to the floor in order to clean his bottom. Those hours in the middle of the night when we're crying together because he just won't sleep. That is when I have the thought, the whisper. That little whine inside my head. It sounds something like this:

"Does any of this really matter? Nobody can even see me right now. My job as a mother feels so unimportant at times. I don't get a paycheck and I don't accrue vacation hours. My role as tummy-tickler and block-stacker doesn't make a difference in the world. Motherhood is so frustrating at times because I don't see many results for the work I am doing. What is the purpose of all this?"

I love listening to K-Love because I get so much encouragement from the messages in the music. I love the new song by Steven Curtis Chapman called "Do Everything". Here are the lyrics to the first verse:

"You're picking up toys on the living room floor for the 15th time today. Matching up socks and sweeping up lost Cheerios that got away. You put a baby on your hip and color on your lips and head out the door. And while I may not know you I bet I know you. Wonder sometimes does it matter at all. Well let me remind you it all matters just as long as you....Do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you. Cause He made you to do every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His Face. And tell the story of grace. With every move that you make and every little thing you do"

It reminds me of Colossians 3:23. "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men"

I hope that encourages you somehow, no matter that your "job" is.

3 comments:

  1. Steph, this is awesome.
    Thanks for sharing the lyrics. I have heard about the song, but not heard it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listen to K-Love too, especially after having a baby I like to listen to positive music that I don't have to worry about what message the lyrics are sending to my impressionable child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post. I totally feel you mama.

    ReplyDelete