Friday, April 1, 2011

Foodie Friday: Uninspired

I have been very uninspired this week in terms of cooking. As in, I haven't been doing much of it. I think it's a combination of the hot weather and the fact that Ryan is teething. Sweaty Mama + Whiny Baby = No time or energy to cook.


I thought this picture summed up our week pretty well. Poor baby has sore gums.


When I don't cook, it's not like we can just order take-out. We're on a tight budget that doesn't really allow room for eating out often. So our meals this week have consisted of a lot of canned vegetables, instant rices and pasta, and barbeque-friendly foods. Not necessarily bad food, just very lackluster.


Do you ever get in a food rut, or just plain get tired of cooking? What do you do when that happens? And what do you cook when it's really hot outside? I have a hard time coming up with meals that don't heat up the house too much, yet are still hearty enough to satisfy my hungry husband. Care to share any easy go-to recipes for the warm weather?

5 comments:

  1. I would say pasta salad but my dh doesn't get full from that, either ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to bring out the crock pot. I have a recipe for white chili with chicken that most men LOVE!! And it's easy and cheap. Let me know if you want it.

    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I would love the chili recipe! I've never made chicken chili but I know Adam and I would both love it. And the crock pot is a good idea because it doesn't heat up the kitchen. By the way Adam didn't even eat that chicken and lemon risotto I made last week. Luckily we had leftover steak and potatoes for him. He's afraid of trying new foods!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo, I would like that recipe too! I feel like cooking is gonna be hard now that I have a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I get in food ruts too! I am digging myself out of one right now!

    In the summer, we BBQ all the time! Burgers, chicken burgers, sausage, chicken breasts, steak, kabobs, oh what else? We probably BBQ 4-5x/week in the summer! It is just barely getting warm enough for us to BBQ. :)

    Another quick meal is toasted tomato sandwiches... toast, mayo, tomato... done! You can add lettuce and bacon and make a BLT but the tomato alone is good too!

    Also tacos! Mmmm... they don't take much to do, you can even make them from frozen meat (we always use ground turkey) so even if you don't plan ahead you can do them! We had them last night :)

    Stir fry! It takes a little time to get everything cut up, but the cooking part goes pretty fast. I try to cut up the veggies throughout the day when I have some time. You can serve it over rice, pasta, rice noodles, in a wrap, or just plain! I like it cuz it's a whole meal... don't have to cook veggies separately! :)

    ReplyDelete