Friday, April 29, 2011

Ryan: 12 Months

You are 1 year old today, my sweet baby boy! This past year has been absolutely crazy and stressful but wonderful and full of moments of pure joy. Being your mom has changed me in ways I could not have imagined. How did you get to be so big so fast?
These days you are walking/running all around. You love opening and shutting doors, climbing up and down steps, and being chased down the hallway. You are on the go all day long and rarely enjoy just being still. Your favorite activity is making a mess.You still seem a bit behind in your eating skills. You continue to refuse to eat any solid finger foods......however, you did eat a few small bites of ground beef this week. Your Daddy and I got so excited when you did this! I now give you cow's milk twice a day, with lunch and dinner. You are still nursing about 5 times per day, although lately you've been skipping one of your afternoon nursing sessions.
Although you "talk" all the time now, your only regular word at this point is Dada. But you have said Doggy, Daddy, Yes, and Eyes. Still no Mama!
I remember when you were an infant and we struggled with getting you to sleep. I always imagined that by 1 year of age you would have "learned" how to sleep. Unfortunately I was wrong. You are regularly taking a morning nap of about 1 hour now. But that's usually it for the day. Nights are still the same. I can nurse you to sleep and get you into your crib by 8:30, but you are usually up again within a few hours, and then in bed with us. After that you wake up a few more times before the day starts around 7:30. It's better than, say, 6 months ago. But still......you are a big 1-year old now and you should be sleeping more consistently!
You still only have your 8 front teeth. But I can feel some seriously swollen gums in your mouth right now. You may be cutting your molars in time for your birthday!
You get both sillier and smarter every day. You love to clap and wave bye-bye. You touch my eyelashes when I ask you where my eyes are. You poke your tummy when I ask you about your belly button. And you open your mouth really wide every time I say the word "yogurt". In all honesty, I feel a slight sense of accomplishment for making it to 1 year. There were definitely some days in the beginning when it seemed like all you did was cry. Being a mom to a 1-year old seemed so far off, yet here we are.I love you more than you will ever know. You fill my life with so much happiness and laughter! You were created to be my son and I feel so blessed that God chose me to be your Mommy. Happy 1st Birthday Ryan!

Love you Baby Boy.

2 comments:

  1. You should feel a sense of accomplishment!! Well done!! Babies do love to make messes, just remember in about a year to have them start helping pick up!!! Or before you know it they are teens and somehow have never learned that lesson!!! I love the one of him showing his teeth and being a bit fussy.

    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete