Sunday, October 20, 2019

Dentist and Doctor

Andrew tagged along with his siblings this week for his first dentist appointment. We tried 6 months ago but he refused to even open his mouth. This time he was a pro!
He hopped up in the chair, took the glasses from the nurse, put them on, and leaned back with a smile. He felt just like a big kid. When the dentist checked his teeth, he opened right up. He did so well they decided to try polishing his teeth, and he loved it!
His favorite part was the suction straw that sucks the water out of your mouth. I'm pretty sure he would have sat there all afternoon having his mouth rinsed and suctioned. He got a good tooth checkup and a balloon....and he was a happy boy!
The next day was Saturday and unfortunately Andrew took a tumble off our stairs onto the tile floor. Adam says he was just 2 steps up when he lost his footing and fell, landing on the left side of his head. Andrew typically bounces back up after getting hurt and says "I'm ok!", but not this time. He cried and cried and whimpered in my arms for quite a while, refusing to lift up his head. Then he fell asleep. I was reminded of the time when Ryan fractured his skull and fell asleep afterwards. I called the advice nurse to see what they thought. While I was on the phone he woke up and threw up in my lap. At this point, I was now remembering Ryan's concussion, since he also threw up after that.

They told me to bring Andrew in for an evaluation. Once again, he was an absolute champ. He climbed up onto the table and lay down waiting for the doctor. He answered her questions, and she assured me that he seemed fine. There is no way to really know if a toddler has had a concussion, as the vomiting might indicate. But the fact that Andrew is acting normal and did not continue to throw up is reassuring. She ended the appointment telling me to keep a close eye on him this weekend. Saturday he seemed really sleepy but today he was back to his loud, energetic self. It's times like this when I really appreciate his boisterous personality!

No comments:

Post a Comment