Saturday, September 15, 2018

Seasonal and Halloween Books

I hauled out our Fall/Halloween decorations from the attic today and spent some time decorating the house. I love seeing how my kids get excited to see decorations that they remember from previous years. I especially love seeing them get excited about our seasonal books. Each year when I pack away the seasonal décor, I also pack away their holiday books. I do the same thing after Christmas. I think it helps to keep those books extra special. Every year I try to add a new book to our collection, and I thought some of you may want to do the same. So here is my list of our current favorite Fall/Autumn/Halloween books!

Creepy Carrots
Ahhh creepy carrots is definitely one of my favorites! I wouldn't say it's a holiday book, but it's a little cute and a little creepy, so I'm including it. Jasper Rabbit really loves carrots....until the day the carrots start creeping around behind his back. All of my big kids love this book, and I especially love the old black-and-white movie look of the illustrations.


Skeleton Hiccups
Skeleton hiccups is a simple little story about a skeleton who has the hiccups. It's cute and not at all scary. The wording and storyline are very simple, and I like that it's a book Ryan or Lucas can read to their younger siblings. (They love the part where the water comes out through his eye sockets!)


Room on the Broom
This one is just a cute little story about a witch on her broomstick. The wind blows away her hat and a couple other items, and some helpful animals come along to retrieve her items. But is there room on her broom for them? You'll have to read it to find out!

Five Little Ghosts
We have had this book (and the next one) for a few years now and they are still favorites. These rhyming books are great for Jenna and Andrew. I like that they are padded and the pages are sturdy enough that Andrew won't rip them.


Five Black Cats
Again, just a cute little rhyming book that is a little spooky but not at all scary. Perfect for 4 and under. I think my Mom gave us these!

Bonaparte Falls Apart
This one is new to us this year and such a cute story! Bonaparte is literally falling apart and his friends (with fun names like Black Widow and Franky Stein) try to help put him back together. This is one all my kids love, and I think the illustrations are all really cute.


Sleep Tight Farm
This is our other new book, and it's so new that it hasn't arrived yet! This one caught my eye because it reminded me of a book I might have had as a child. The book goes through how a farm prepares for Winter. The illustrations look captivating, and I'm pretty sure that reading this book to my kids will make me want to move to a farm! I also love that this isn't holiday-specific, but instead a way to teach my kids about the changing seasons.

What books do you read to your kids this time of year?


Disclaimer: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

1 comment: