Monday, June 25, 2018

Ryan's Summer Reading

Ryan doesn't love to read. His reading level is just barely where it should be for his age. When he actually reads, he does just fine sounding out words. But he rushes and loses interest really quickly. Getting him to actually crack open a book is tough. We pretty much have to enforce reading time, and then it becomes a chore rather than something to enjoy! One of my goals this summer is to help Ryan find the joy in reading. It may never be his "thing", but I sure am going to try! Below are some of the books he/we are reading right now.


Dog Man Series
I believe this is by the same author as Captain Underpants. My boys love some potty humor, but I try to steer them away from that as much as possible. This book caught my eye because it is done in the same comic book/graphic style. So far Ryan really seems to like it!

This book is a little....different. It is definitely one I am reading out loud to the kids, although I have caught Ryan trying to read it to himself a few times! It's a strange book about 3 siblings who are orphaned. There are some big words in this book that I have to explain, but much to my surprise, Ryan requests this book every single night. And he begs for me to read just one more chapter after I finish. I love that!!

These books are an updated version to the classic Hardy Boys books. I wouldn't say they are our favorite, but they are nice books that both boys enjoy reading. They just aren't as suspenseful as I was hoping for, so they don't keep us on the edge of our seats wanting more. But my boys like them, so that's a win.

These were the very first chapter books Ryan started reading last year. Each book takes the kids on an adventure to a different location around the world, or to a time in history. They are suspenseful and informative and both my boys love when I read them!

Some books we haven't read yet but plan on reading ASAP: The Boxcar Children, Goosebumps Series, Star Wars: Jedi Academy

Because Ryan has 3 younger siblings, he still gets picture books read to him pretty regularly. Here are a few we are loving right now:

Dragons Love Tacos
The premise of the book: Dragons love tacos and hate salsa. It's a simple yet silly book that my kids love. Their favorite line that makes them crack up: "Pantloads of tacos!"

The Storm That Stopped
This is an amazing book that tells the story of Jesus calming the storm from Mark chapter 4. The illustrations are beautiful and the book is dramatic enough to capture my kids' attention and hold it. There is a lesson on the final page about who Jesus is, and I think it is perfect for my young kids.
(When you click on the Amazon link above for this book, you will see books listed below under the section "Customers who bought this item also bought". I want ALL those books!)

What books are your young boys reading these days?

Disclaimer: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment