Monday, February 12, 2018

Flu Fears

Ugh. Most of you know I have struggled with anxiety in the past, and these days it isn't nearly as bad. But certain things trigger it, specifically health-related worries. I dread this time of year, when colds and flus are rampant. Honestly, just talking (writing) about it is hard. It's almost like mentioning the words will somehow bring sickness upon us. Which I know isn't logical, but hey....anxiety isn't usually logical.
I am terrified of the flu. (Not the stomach flu. Surprisingly, that doesn't really concern me. I'm talking about the awful annual flu that's going around.) I can't open my internet browser without seeing a new headline about its latest casualty. And it puts me in panic mode. Fears of getting sick not only consume my thoughts but dictate my actions. Because in my mind, certain symptoms or complications that go along with the flu will certainly lead to hospitalization or worse. Truly. I'm not exaggerating.

You know what else puts me in panic mode? A cough. A sneeze. A headache. Anything out of the ordinary. Being around anyone who is displaying symptoms of getting sick. I know, I know, it's ridiculous. And don't even get me started on the whooping couch email I received from the school last week. Oy vey.

I'm the Mom who can spout out every fact about the local viruses, who can spot a sick kid a mile away, and who is militant about not letting my kids share food or cups or anything that could pass along potential germs.

So this time of year I turn into a crazy woman. Every morning I give my kids a multivitamin that also contains a probiotic. Then they each get a Vitamin C tablet. And then after school the kids get elderberry syrup to drink.
And then of course there's the hand-washing after being anywhere out of the house. And the flu shot? We all got it the first week it was available. I also diffuse immunity-boosting essential oils throughout the day. 

Because Germs!!

We also try to avoid going to indoor events with lots of people. Church? We tend to avoid it this time of year because every time we go, one of the kids is sick a few days later. If only I could homeschool for part of the year.....
Doing all these things makes me feel like I have some control over whether or not my kids will get sick. And shockingly.......we have barely been sick this season! Like, just one yucky cold last month and that was it.

But the tricky part is that getting sick is inevitable. No matter what I do, we will eventually get sick. And I know there are people like my sister who didn't give her kids the flu shot, who lets them eat off the floor, who doesn't give vitamins.....and they're been pretty healthy this season!
So I don't really know what the point of this is. Except to tell you I am terrified of all things flu. So please don't tell me if you've had it and it's awful. Please tell me that the season is over and I can relax a little, and everything will be okay.
*Excuse me while I go sanitize my hands and drink some green tea with a shot of apple cider vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment