Monday, December 5, 2016

Week of Dinners #6

It was nice to get back to regular cooking after a week of Thanksgiving and birthday parties. Here is our latest roundup of dinners!

Saturday: Salmon, Quinoa/Brown Rice, Salad

Adam was gone this day so I tried to keep things simple. My go-to seasoning for salmon is seasoned salt and garlic powder with a little olive oil. Ryan will almost always eat it this way.
On the side I made this quick box of flavored quinoa/brown rice for Jenna and I. For the boys I made white rice.
Served with a salad of iceburg, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and radishes. Topped with my homemade ranch dressing.

 Sunday: "Lucas" Chicken, Spaghetti with Alfredo sauce, steamed broccoli

I haven't made this chicken in a long time. Recipe here. We nicknamed it Lucas Chicken because it is the only way I could get Lucas to eat chicken for the longest time. Unfortunately he refused to touch it this time! Oh well, the rest of us devoured it. I only make this chicken when Adam is home to watch the kids because the breading and pan-frying process can be a little time-consuming (and messy!). I cooked a partial box of spaghetti noodles on the side and made a quick alfredo sauce. Recipe here. Plus steamed broccoli.

 Monday: Beef and Bean Burritos, fruit salad

Jenna was pretty sick this day so I'm glad I had an easy dinner planned. I cooked some ground beef with my homemade taco seasoning and we all assembled our own burritos. This burrito totally hit the spot. Maybe I was just really hungry, but it tasted SO good! Mine had a whole wheat tortilla, a little ground beef, refried beans, cheese, sour cream, diced tomatoes, iceburg lettuce, and this new Avocado Verde dip. I had heard how good it was, so I was happy to finally find it at Walmart last week.

I also made a little fruit salad of cutie oranges and strawberries. (Ryan finally decided he likes cuties! Praise God for another fruit he will eat. haha. He actually ate 2 yesterday!)

Tuesday: Crispy Pork cutlets, Parmesan and Garlic roasted potatoes, canned green beans

This was a recipe from my new 100 Days of Real Food cookbook. The breading on the pork is actually a combination of ground up triscuit crackers and some spices. It was easy and tasty! I also made these potatoes for the first time (a recipe from How Jen Does It on YouTube) and they were awesome. Adam has already requested I make them again. We also had some canned green beans.


Wednesday: Baked Chicken Sausage Pasta, Steamed veggies

I diced and browned 4 links of chicken sausage from Costco. Then I combined with about 10 oz of cooked Wacky Mac pasta, a jar of spaghetti sauce, 3/4 lb mozzarella and a handful of parmesan. I baked for about 20 minutes and voila! It was cheesy and yummy. On the side we had steamed broccoli and carrots.

I knew the kids wouldn't love the pasta (although Jenna loved the sausage). So when Ryan found these mini pizza bagels in the freezer and asked me to fix them with dinner, I agreed.
 I also made kale chips. (unpictured)
Thursday: Scrambled Eggs, Bacon, Fruit, Homemade Bread, Hash Browns

This was a straightforward dinner. Eggs, bacon (cooked in the oven), hash browns (from Trader Joe's), and some cuties/green apples. I was testing out some bread in my bread machine that afternoon to give to a neighbor. It didn't turn out that great, so I kept it for us. Butter helped it, but it still wasn't very good.

Friday: Turkey Chili, Quesadillas, Cucumbers

By the end of the week I had the kids' cold and I was feeling pretty run-down. A big bowl of something warm sounded good so I made a pot of turkey chili. I used this recipe which is called "The Best Turkey Chili". Well I wouldn't call it the best, but it was easy, basic, and tasty. I had a few whole wheat tortillas leftover from burrito night, so I made a few quick quesadillas to dip in the chili. I also served cucumbers for Jenna and I.

And Saturday we ordered pizza because Mommy was sick. And ready for a cooking break! What did you eat this week? I always love getting new ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment