Saturday, October 17, 2015

New Kitchen Finds


These days, anything I'm making in the kitchen must be healthy or easy, and preferably both. I just don't have time to make complicated dishes, and making nutritious food is always a priority for me. I thought I'd share a few new products and techniques I've been using lately......

1. Reynolds Slow Cooker Liners
I discovered these crockpot liners last year and I'm so glad I did. You simply line your slow cooker and cook your meal as directed inside. I know some people don't like the idea of cooking their food in plastic, but for me it's worth it for the convenience. It makes cleaning up really easy!


2. Noosa Yoghurt
I don't eat flavored yogurt very often, but this Australian whole milk yogurt is so good! I recently picked up a few flavors and every one I have tried was excellent. It is more of a greek yogurt thickness, but still incredibly creamy and not at all chalky. It contains good ingredients, although it does contain a bit of added sugar (honey I believe), so I eat these as a treat.

3. Baked Bacon
This fall under the category of easy, and not necessarily healthy! We love bacon around here but I don't love standing in front of the stove getting splattered. I recently tried this method for cooking it in the oven, and I will never go back to making it on the stove!

4. Casa Fiesta Taco Shells
We eat a lot of tacos around here because 4 out of 5 Nullmeyers like them! Ryan in particular loves crunchy tacos, so I've been on the hunt to find healthier taco shells. I came across this brand at Bel Air/Raleys, and now I stock up every time I go there. The ingredients are: stone ground corn flour, coconut oil, water, lime. That's it!

5. Taco Seasoning
Speaking of tacos, have you ever read the ingredients in pre-packaged taco seasoning? It's pretty awful. They usually contain all sorts of preservatives, MSG, and other junk. I make my own taco seasoning in large batches and store it in the pantry. Here is the recipe I use:http://realfitrealfoodmom.com/2013/08/18/taco-seasoning/  It is so much better than the store bought seasoning packets. Try it!

6. Ziploc Zip 'n Steam
I've mentioned these before, but they're worth including again. These are microwaveable bags that steam your veggies. This is a shortcut I use all the time in the kitchen. Rather than boil water and use a steam basket, I can put my veggies in these bags and steam them in the microwave in under 5 minutes. Perfect for getting dinner on the table quickly after evening soccer practice!

What new products or techniques have you tried in the kitchen lately? Do you use any of these?

No comments:

Post a Comment