Tuesday, September 29, 2015

The Time I Found a Dead Body

My story begins Monday at noon, when I took Lucas and Jenna to our local library in Rocklin. Upon arrival we realized the library was closed. Our library has a somewhat large body of water next to it that is enclosed by a metal fence. I decided to let Lucas throw rocks into the water through the fence, since he was upset about the library being closed. I was standing near him, holding Jenna. As I looked across the water I saw something strange. It looked like a dead body.

I saw what looked like two red shoes, a black pair of shorts, and a large dark torso. Floating facedown in the water. I squinted and tried to make out what I was really seeing. I read a lot of murder mysteries, so I assumed my imagination was getting the best of me. The apparent body was all the way on the other side of the water, so I really couldn't get a good look at it. The more I looked, the more I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. The torso looked so large that I started thinking it must be a log and not a body.

Just then a man walked towards us and sat down. I wanted to ask him if he saw what I was seeing. But then my crazy mind (remember, I read murder mysteries) started working overtime. I thought to myself, what if he is the murderer, coming back to watch over the body? If I revealed to him what I saw, surely he would dispose of me as well. I was also just nervous about being all alone with my kids and a man I didn't know. So I took the kids and left.

I texted my sister in the parking lot to tell her what I had seen. She told me to tell someone, but I said I really wasn't certain about what I had seen. Later that day I told Adam about it and he just laughed at me. After that I kind of forgot about the so-called floating body.

This morning I got a text from my sister. She had just driven past the library and said there were police everywhere. Oh my gosh. Could I really have seen a dead body?? Why didn't I trust what I had seen and called the police?

My sister stopped to ask an officer what was going on, and he confirmed that they were pulling a dead body out of the water. My sister told him about my text to her the previous day. He took down my information and called me soon after.

The detective asked me to describe what I had seen, including what the man was wearing. He asked about what time I was there, and what the man looked like who came and sat down near me. He then took down my name, birth date, and phone number. It was like something out of a bad movie.

I feel badly for the victim and his family, and I hope the police can figure out what happened.

You can read the news story here.
http://www.placerherald.com/article/9/29/15/dead-body-found-floating-under-rocklin-library#

No comments:

Post a Comment