Wednesday, January 8, 2014

House Cleaning ADD

I have decided I have some form of ADD when it comes to cleaning my house. I do a lot of picking up and cleaning, but it doesn't feel like anything is ever really clean. Here is a realistic example of what I do:

I'm standing in the kitchen doing dishes, but I keep tripping over a random pair of shoes that were left in the kitchen. I carry them back into the bedroom and notice I haven't made the bed yet. So I quickly make the bed and realize the laundry hamper is overflowing. I carry a load out to the garage and toss it in the washing machine. The recyclables are piling up again so I carry them out to the bin. On my way back to the kitchen I step in something sticky and remember Ryan spilled his juice earlier. That reminds me that I haven't mopped in a while. So I pull out the broom to do a quick sweep before I mop. I pass by my wall calendar and remember that I need to reschedule my upcoming dentist appointment. Better make the call now while Lucas is sleeping. The sweeping, mopping, and dishes are put on hold until later.

It's like I can't focus on one thing because I am too distracted by the other messes around me. I do a little here, a little there, and at the end of the day guess how I feel? Like I didn't get anything done.

So I have decided to try something different. I received a planner for Christmas from my Mom. Along with using it for my grocery list and meal planning, I have also started a cleaning schedule. And trust me, it's nothing spectacular or overwhelming. I have simply decided to have one cleaning or organizing task each day. (Apart from the necessary cooking, dishes, and a little laundry). My planner looks like this:

So for example, I cleaned the guest bathroom on Monday. Tomorrow I'm going to organize our medicine cabinet. Nothing has taken me more than 10 minutes, but what a difference it has made! At the end of the day I know exactly what I accomplished, and I didn't spend all day doing it, at the expense of time with my boys. I realize that my entire house is never going to be clean all at the same time. At least not while I have young children. But there is great satisfaction from knowing at least one area is cleaned really well. (Even though it might only stay clean for about two minutes!)

How do you clean your house? Do you use a schedule? Do you have house cleaning ADD like me?

4 comments:

  1. The Moving Force Rug Cleaning Brisbane takes pride in its quality Brisbane cleaning services. No house cleaning and Rug Cleaning job is too big or too small whether you require casual or general cleaning as we tailor our services to suit your home cleaning needs. The Moving Force are kean to clean everything and anything that is dirty and stained. We believe that a clean place is a healthy place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s a great idea to have your cleaning schedule marked on your calendar. Having a regular schedule will not only remind you of your day to day activities, it will also to list down your accomplishments at the end of the day. Anyway, thanks for sharing that! All the best to you! :)

    Monique Fletcher @ Safe Clean Hillingdon

    ReplyDelete

  3. تتعدد الشركات التي تقدم خدمات ىالتنظيف لاكن لا يمكن ان تكون كلها في نفس مستوي الجوده فان كنت من الباحثين عن جودة الشركه قبل اي شئ اخر فانصحة بزيارة احدي تلك الصفحات
    شركة تنظيف بالخرج
    والتي تقدم افضل خدمات التنظيف بالمنزل باعلي مستوي من الكفائه

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this amazing article on Roofs was Just searching for Home services and found this amazing website of yours.

    ReplyDelete