Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Stitch Fix!

I am so excited to share something new with all of you! I recently cleaned out my closet and got rid of any clothes that no longer fit, were purchased in the last century, or were too corporate-office looking. What I was left with was a couple pairs of jeans, a few t-shirts, and a few nicer items to wear to church. My closet was looking a little sad. But unfortunately, shopping these days is a little  lot harder than it used to be. Did you read this post?

Enter Stitch Fix!! It's an online company that acts as your personal stylist. For $20 you sign up and fill out a detailed survey about your body type and style preferences. You can even include specific instructions about what kind of clothes you need for your lifestyle (I'm a Mom of two young messy boys so don't send me anything that requires dry-cleaning). Your personal stylist then picks out 5 articles of clothing and sends them to you. You try them on and decide what to keep and what to send back. Shipping both ways is free! If you keep an item, your initial cost of $20 is applied towards the cost of your clothing purchase. Oh, and if you keep all 5 items, you get 25% off your entire order. Following so far?

When I first heard about it I didn't even consider signing up. It sounded expensive and extravagant and for people younger, richer, and more hip than me. But then I kept hearing rave reviews about people getting their "fix". I had a little birthday money left over to use, so I talked myself into trying it. I figured if I hated everything, I'd only be out $20, and at least it would be a really fun experience. What woman wouldn't love having clothes hand-picked for them?
My "fix" arrived a day earlier than expected, which was a fun surprise.
My initial peek at the clothes was encouraging....some fun colors and stripes. I was so excited to try everything on!
My stylist wrote me a little note about why she picked out each item for me.  They sure know how to make a girl feel special!
So here I am in the clothes. I apologize for the bad photos....it was late, I had a headache, most of my makeup had worn off, and my photographer wasn't exactly enthusiastic about his assignment.

First up was this long necklace. I have been wanting a long necklace like this, but I wasn't crazy about the combination of green and gold. It looked a little old to me, and not good quality for the price. If it was a better color and price, I may have kept it.
 My second item was this maroon dolman shirt. I liked that it was incredibly soft and felt really comfortable on me. The color was good for fall/winter, but I already have one dolman style sweater and don't necessarily need another. The price was a little high for me, so I decided to return this one. Plus, it reminded Adam of a duck's webbed feet.


Next up were these fun blue skinny jeans! I had specifically requested a pair of colored skinny jeans, so I was happy they sent these. They are super soft and fit really well. I'm not super adventurous with my style, so I think this color is a good introduction to colored jeans for me. The price was reasonable, especially after applying my $20 initial credit towards the purchase. I'm keeping these!! Now I just need to figure out what to wear with them in the winter.
 
When I saw this dress I liked the combination of gray and teal stripes. But summer is coming to an end and I don't see myself wearing this type of dress into the colder seasons. After trying it on I was more than convinced that it was a NO. The color did nothing for me, not to mention that it was a bit too short. It also made me look really top-heavy. Sending it back!
 
 Finally, this horrible striped tank. I was disappointed with this one, mostly because I had requested "no sleeveless". I tried it on and hated it even more. It was just huge and ugly and unflattering.
One thing I loved were these little cards that came with each item. They show two options for styling each item of clothing, and it gave me some great ideas of what it in style right now. And I know my stylist was listening when I requested clothes that would work well with my light denim jacket. Many of the clothes were shown paired with a jean jacket.

If you are considering trying out Stitch Fix (and you should!!) please please pretty please use this referral link. If you provide my name as a referral, I get credit towards a future purchase!

https://www.stitchfix.com/referral/3168832

Overall I loved my first Stitch Fix experience. I can see how this could become addicting, because I already want to order another box! After each box you give your stylist feedback about what you liked and didn't like, so they learn more about your preferences. Going forward, each "fix" is supposed to be even better and more customized to your style and taste. I dare you all to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment