Monday, September 9, 2013

Hamburger Soup

As I type this, I am sitting on our front porch watching Ryan swim in his pool, and it's a sunny 80 degrees. I know it's only the beginning of September, but I can't help but get excited about Fall. I love all the decorations and activities, and of course, the food. Soups, chili, stews....they are just so comforting and delicious. And hot. I thought I'd share a recipe with you all today that I plan on making later this week, once it cools down about 10 degrees or so. Low seventies is good soup-eating weather, right?

This soup reminds me of my childhood because my Mom used to make it. She passed the recipe along to me, and I love making it for my family. It contains ingredients that I almost always have on hand, so it's helpful for cleaning out my freezer and pantry. Ryan and Lucas will eat the flavored ground beef from the soup, although I'm still working on getting them to try the carrots and other yummy stuff. We like to serve it with a generous helping of parmesan cheese and some sourdough bread.

Serves 6 ~ Make the whole recipe and freeze the leftovers!

Hamburger Soup
2 lbs ground beef
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp each pepper, oregano, basil
1/8 tsp seasoned salt
1 package onion soup mix
6 cups boiling water
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 cup celery, sliced crosswise
1/4 cup celery leaves, roughly chopped
1 cup sliced carrots
1/3 cup dried split peas
1 cup elbow macaroni or any small pasta

In a large saucepan or soup pot, brown meat in oil. Add salt, pepper, oregano, basil, seasoned salt, and onion soup mix. Stir in boiling water, tomato sauce, and soy sauce. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare celery, celery leaves, and carrots. Add to simmering mixture with split peas and continue to cook for 30 minutes.

Add macaroni and simmer for 30 minutes longer, adding more water if necessary.

Pass the parmesan and dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment