Thursday, September 19, 2013

Awana and Independence

Ryan started Awana last week at our church. It is a children's program where they learn verses from the Bible and play games and do projects based on their verse for the week. It meets one evening per week and the parents do not stay during the 1.5 hour meeting. As I dropped Ryan off last week for his first Awana class, I realized what a big milestone this was.
This was the first time I had ever dropped Ryan off somewhere (other than at grandparents' house) and then left. It felt really strange. I was excited for the mini-break (to go home, put Lucas to bed, and do the dishes!) but at the same time, a little sad.

Ryan is becoming more independent each day. He's actually growing up. Most of the time, I can't imagine him ever growing up and getting older. It is hard to explain, but I kind of feel like he's going to be a little kid forever. Logically I know this isn't true, but it still feels that way. So watching him walk into the classroom without hesitation makes his growing independence really hit home. And it makes me appreciate his dependence on me that much more.

I can't imagine what his first day of Kindergarten will feel like in a couple years!

In the meantime, I have some really adorable artwork to look at on our refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment