Friday, July 29, 2011

Foodie Friday: Non-Dessert

I gave up dessert for the month of July. Not to necessarily lose weight, but to curb my increasingly problematic cravings for sugar. You see, I wasn't just eating dessert after dinner. Cookies and ice cream were also making their way into my mouth after lunch. And in the afternoon. And after breakfast. Yes, it was bad. So I gave up all dessert for July in the hopes of taking away my sugar cravings. (Except my birthday weekend, during which I consumed 9 donuts). So far I can honestly say it hasn't been that bad. I'm really not craving dessert like I thought I would. But now that the end is in sight, I'm definitely looking forward to August 1st and trying this recipe for Maple Bacon Ice Cream. Speaking of ice cream, I made a non-dessert version of it last night. I've wanted to try this technique for a while, and figured now was the perfect opportunity. We'll call it Banana Non-Ice Cream.






Step 1: Chop up and freeze 2 bananas.

Step 2: Place in blender or food processor. Blend 1 minute.Step 3: Scrape down sides. Blend 1 more minute until smooth.Step 4: Either serve and enjoy, or mix in other ingredients. I added 1 tsp of peanut butter and a drizzle of maple syrup. Mine was a little thick so I added 1 Tbsp almond milk.To be honest, it was quite banana-ish. I don't know why I was expecting it to taste like something else. My tastebuds were not satisfied so I snacked on some chips. Until a certain toddler stole them.....Let me know if you try this "ice cream"!

2 comments:

  1. That does look very good!! But I hear what you are saying about it being banana-ish. Bet it would of been good with some coconut milk!! Trader Joe's makes these itty bitty ice cream cones called Hold The Cone. I let myself have one a day. Then I don't feel deprived!!

    Aunt Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep meaning to comment on this. I have saved a recipe I recently saw on Weelicious for Chocolate "ice cream" using the same method but adding some greek yogurt, cocoa powder, frozen strawberries, vanilla and some honey. I know it's more ingredients but still healthy! Just thought I'd share. :)

    http://weelicious.com/2011/07/13/chocolate-banana-ice-cream/

    ReplyDelete