Thursday, January 21, 2021

Healthy Meals 3rd Week January

Here we are, already 3 weeks down in January! We continued to eat dinner at home every night this week, focusing on healthy whole foods as much as possible.

Friday - Veggie Burger, Big Salad
I know, this is the lamest Friday night dinner. I hadn't gotten around to meal planning for the upcoming week so it was kind of a "use up what we have" night. We were outside until around 8pm talking and playing with neighbors on our block. So when we came inside I needed something fast. (Kids ate dinosaur chicken nuggets and fruit) I fixed myself a big salad of lettuce, cucumbers, radishes, and tomatoes. On the side I had a Dr. Praeger's veggie burger that wasn't that great. I may have also consumed an (unpictured) cookie in a mug.

Saturday - Pot Roast with Sauerkraut
I made a pot roast in my instant pot, but unfortunately the meat turned out pretty tough. We still ate it, but it definitely wasn't that shredded fall-apart meat that is so good. I served mine with sauerkraut!

Sunday - Ground Turkey, Pasta, Broccoli
This was just a basic dinner that satisfied everyone. Ground organic turkey, whole wheat pasta topped with some parmesan, and steamed broccoli. I used up the rest of the chickpea rotini and then added in half a box of this whole wheat penne.

Monday - Chicken Caesar Salad Wrap
SO tasty! Pretty sure this was my favorite meal from the week! I've never made these before, but it just sounded really yummy. I basically made the components of a chicken caesar salad and then stuffed it all into a whole wheat tortilla. Here is the cast of characters:
I sliced 4 chicken breasts in half lengthwise and then marinated them in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper, and kefir. I was supposed to use mayo, but rarely have it in the house. I figured kefir would be a good replacement, and it was!

Tuesday - Pork Tenderloin, Potatoes, Roasted Cauliflower
This was a meal that felt kind of special but was incredibly simple to make. I seasoned a couple pork tenderloins with a spice rub, seared them in a pan, and then popped into a hot oven to finish cooking. When it was done I had a lot of pan drippings/juice, so I whisked in a tiny bit of flour for an instant gravy. I also stuck some potatoes in the oven (everyone else had white potatoes, I had a sweet potato). For the cauliflower, I just chopped a head of cauliflower up into bite sized pieces, tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper, and roasted in the oven along with everything else. (Jenna and Andrew loved the cauliflower!)

Wednesday - Crockpot Chicken Tortilla Soup
I put all the ingredients for this chicken tortilla soup in my crockpot in the morning, and the house smelled amazingly spicy all day. It had chicken, corn, black beans, tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic, cumin, and chili powder. About 30 minutes before dinner, I sliced up a bunch of corn tortillas and baked them in the oven until they were crisp. I topped my soup with a few tortilla strips as well as white cheddar cheese.

Thursday - Spaghetti Squash and Meatballs, Kale Chips

We were gifted some food from Omaha Steaks for Christmas, and these meatballs were the last item from our box. I cooked whole wheat spaghetti noodles for the kids, but roasted a spaghetti squash for Adam and I. Cut in half, roast, and then shred into noodles! I topped mine with marinara, parmesan, and a couple meatballs. On the side  I grabbed a couple of the kale chips I made for the kids.


What was on your dinner menu this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment