Friday, January 15, 2021

Healthy Meals 2nd Week January

 Here's another week of healthy-ish meals. Halfway through the month and we've had a homecooked meal every night. I hope we can keep the momentum going!

In case you missed it, here are last week's meals: Nully Baby Blog: Healthy Meals January 2021

Friday - Whole Chicken, Sweet Potato, Roasted Veggies
That potato looks like a white one, but it's actually some sort of sweet potato. I cooked a whole chicken in my crockpot using my favorite technique here. I also roasted these beautiful veggies! (Red potatoes for Adam.....and I honestly don't remember what carb I fed the kids.)

Saturday - Fried Rice, Ground Turkey, Edamame
I started with this bag of riced cauliflower stir-fry (I love this stuff, but sadly only found it at Costco once!). I added in some scrambled eggs and dumped in a little bit of leftover brown rice. So our fried rice was half brown rice, half cauliflower. On the side we had edamame and ground turkey.

Sunday - Sourdough Crust Pizza
Not low-carb or anything, but I love my homemade sourdough pizza! This is hands-down my favorite way to make pizza these days. I simply feed my sourdough starter, and pour the starter directly into a hot cast iron skillet. Spread it around until it's nice and thin, flip once, top with toppings, and transfer to the oven for maybe 10 minutes. No making dough and letting it rise, no rolling out dough and making a flour mess. And bonus health points for fermented sourdough!

My sourdough starter is ALIVE! I topped mine with ground beef, jalapenos, cheese and tomatoes.

Monday - Broccoli Cheddar Soup 
Okay this is NOT a great picture. I made broccoli cheddar soup using some homemade chicken broth I made from the whole chicken I cooked in my crockpot on Friday. This was some tasty soup!

Tuesday - Salsa Chicken Taco Salads
Salsa chicken is always an easy dinner in our house that 5 out of 6 of us enjoy. (I'm looking at you Lucas). I simply put chicken breasts in my crockpot and combine with salsa, taco seasoning and a good squeeze of lime. At the end of the day I shred it and add in other taco ingredients, like lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro, green onions, cheese, and guacamole. I'm pretty sure my kids ate an entire bag of chips with this meal.

Wednesday - Mahi Mahi, Quinoa, Kale Salad
What a healthy meal we have here! Unfortunately I over-salted the fish and it was SO salty. We made our way through it but drank lots of water. The quinoa was from a microwave bag that I found at Target, and I was impressed with the ingredients!

On the side we tried this bagged kale salad which I honestly didn't love. I don't like poppyseed dressing because it tastes so sickeningly sweet.
So I used this dressing instead, which I normally love, but it just didn't go with this particular salad very well.

Thursday - Tamale Pie
This was another new recipe from my 100 Days of Real Food Meal Planner.
Adam and I both really liked it! Funny story, the salad on the side is actually cabbage....I thought it was iceburg until I cut into it and realized it was cabbage. It ended up being tasty anyways. I topped it with leftover cilantro, green onions and tomatoes.


What meals have you made lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment