Tuesday, December 3, 2019

A Love of Reading

I have always loved reading and I have always wanted the same for my children. Unfortunately, some of my kids (the boys) have not yet developed a love for reading. Quite a few people have told me that it's just "a boy thing" to not enjoy reading. They have a harder time sitting still and paying attention than most girls I know. While I think there may be some truth to this, I am bound and determined to do everything I can to foster a love of reading in my boys. It may never be their favorite thing, but if I can help them discover the joy that comes from reading a really good book, then I think I will have succeeded. 
I recently read the book "The Read-Aloud Family" by Sarah Mackenzie. Yes, I read a book about reading books. It was so good and full of excellent points. The book basically helped to remind me why reading aloud to your kids is SO important. It helps them become more likely to pick up a book and read it for themselves. It bonds you as a family. It expands their vocabulary. It helps to develop inside-jokes and memories within your family. It helps them to become better writers. It increases academic success, inspires compassion, and even develops an inner strength for handling conflicts. All from reading books!


Now, Jenna loves reading and she is quite patient when being read to. She sits quietly and asks very thoughtful questions. She will let me read to her at any point during the day. My boys, on the other hand, just don't enjoy reading on their own. (Unless you count Dog Man??) When I met recently with their teachers for school conferences, I was once again told how bright and intelligent they are when it comes to math, but that their reading and comprehension skills could use some work. When I asked how much time the students spend reading their books during the day, she answered "10 minutes". I was saddened by this answer. I think reading is such a powerful tool for a child to develop. (And if I'm being honest, I think reading with your kids is often more valuable than homework worksheets).
So I have decided it is my job to cultivate that desire to read in my boys. While they don't yet love reading alone, they do enjoy being read aloud to. So we started a new routine a couple months ago, and so far so good! I have started compiling a list of books I want to read to my boys. Every night either I or Adam spend about 20 minutes reading a chapter book to them. Last month Adam read the 3 Musketeers and the Count of Monte Cristo, and just yesterday I finished reading the book "Frindle". (I thought it was a little boring but my boys both said they liked it). This week Adam will begin reading The Swiss Family Robinson to them, and I plan on reading Matilda once they're done. Books make me happy, and I have quite a growing list of books I want to introduce to them!
I have realized I have to be very intentional about the books I choose for my boys to read. If it doesn't grab their attention right away, they will get bored very quickly. My boys love books that are goofy and silly, but they also enjoy adventure, mystery, and characters that they can relate to. Magic Tree House books used to be a favorite, but I found them to become repetitive and predictable. I have been compiling a list of books I want to read to my kids, and I am including both modern and classic stories. On my list of books I want to read specifically to my boys: Farmer Boy, James and the Giant Peach, Boxcar Children, Mr. Popper's Penguins, The Trumpet Swan, Nate the Great, Tales of Olga Da Polga, Indian in the Cupboard, The BFG.

What do your kids like to read? Do you have any specific recommendations for books that appeal to rowdy boys?

No comments:

Post a Comment