Tuesday, July 2, 2019

Week of Salads

When I was planning last week's dinners I wasn't feeling very inspired. To be honest, I don't enjoy cooking as much during the summer. I much prefer cooking a warm bowl of stew on a cold night, to preparing cold foods on a hot night.

Adam suggested I make a salad for dinner one night, so I took that as inspiration to make a salad every night of the week. Some nights the salad was the main course, and on other nights it was a side. I loved every salad (my kids....not so much).

Taco Salad
This was just your basic taco night turned into taco salad night. I believe it was ground beef, cheese, green onion, corn, tomatoes, avocado, iceburg lettuce, and crumbled tortilla chips. I also made a homemade chipotle ranch dressing to drizzle on top, which made it extra tasty!

Citrus Salad
This was a recipe from a Pioneer Woman cookbook. It contained butter lettuce topped with segmented oranges, grapefruit, limes, and blood oranges. It also had thinly sliced red onion and feta cheese. I thought it was wonderful but nobody else really liked it. I also made rice and "Lucas Chicken" (seasoned and pan fried breaded chicken).

Pasta Salad
On this night I cooked some pasta and tossed it together with sliced chicken sausage, lightly steamed broccoli and cauliflower, fresh tomatoes, and lots of parmesan.

Asian Chopped Salad
This was my lunch one day during the week!

Cobb Salad
 Yum! I made a delicious cobb salad that included lettuce, avocado, bacon, cucumber, boiled egg, feta cheese, green onion, and tomato. On the side I made some homemade biscuits.

Fruit Salad
On the last night of the week I made a fruit salad. It contained nectarines, peaches, plums, strawberries, red and green grapes, and oranges. We also had turkey burgers, baked beans, and fries.

What is your favorite kind of salad? On most days I eat a giant salad for lunch that contains lots of greens and any veggies/protein/seeds I can find in the fridge. It is my favorite way to fill up on nutritious foods without feeling weighed down in the afternoon.

1 comment: