Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Christmas Books and Movies

Today I thought I'd share some of our favorite Christmas books and movies. When I was a little girl I loved opening up our Christmas bins and pulling out all the books. They felt extra special because I only read them one month out of the year. Now that I have my own family, I always make sure to pack away the kids' Christmas books and movies at the end of the year, rather than leave them out year-round. Come December, it's almost like getting new books/movies! I even have friends who wrap up their Christmas books and let their kids open 1 each day during advent. What a fun idea!

Over the past few years I've been expanding our Christmas library. Here is a list of our favorites, as well as a few on my wish list.

This is a big favorite from my childhood. It is adorable! Patchy Pumpkin doesn't get chosen to be a jack-o-lantern, and he sits cold and lonely in the snow until a mouse comes along and turns him into his family's home for Christmas. A classic!

This is another childhood favorite! Anna lives in the World War II era, and she needs a new coat. Her family does not have money to buy one, so her mother barters with different people and eventually Anna's new red coat is made in time for Christmas. I read this to Jenna the other night and she really seemed to like it. I hope it becomes a childhood favorite for her!

I bought this book when Ryan was a baby and it's been fun to introduce his siblings to it each year. It is about a little bear who asks his Mom "Who Invented Christmas?" They head off on a little adventure and along the way the Mom teacher her cub about God, and about the very first Christmas. Very sweet!

This is a cute little rhyming book about what snowmen really do at night. Did you know they have snowball fights and drink hot cocoa? My kids like the rhyming sentences and this is one of those books that is the perfect length to hold their attention. 

Definitely a classic! My kids think some of the wording and illustrations are a little "weird" in this book, but I like exposing them to the older phrases. Everyone needs a Night Before Christmas book in their collection.

We have a few song books and I love how they encourage us to sing Christmas songs together. I especially love the illustrations in this one! Just a few days ago Ryan needed to do 20 minutes of reading for school. I handed him this book and told him to read it to his brother and sister. He chose to sing it instead, and my heart just about melted right out of me! It was too precious.

Last but not least, the Christmas Story. I want my kids to grow up hearing the true story of Jesus' birth, not just at Christmas but all year round. This is the version we have but I am in the market for a new book of Jesus' birth (apart from the Bible!). Do you have a good one to share?

Please share your favorite kids' Christmas books with me! I love adding to our collection. On my wish list: The Polar ExpressThe Story of the NutcrackerBear Stays Up For Christmas


Now for a few movies!

White Christmas was always one of my favorite Christmas movies, and still is. Good old fashioned wholesomeness.

If you haven't experienced Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol, you are missing out. I loved this version as a child!! I actually have this in my Amazon cart right now.

Another childhood favorite! I am actually not sure if my kids have seen this movie. Guess we'll have to remedy that this year!

We got this last year and the boys love it. Now, there is a little bit of language in the beginning that I don't love, so we usually fast-forward through that. The movie is so entertaining though! Definitely a family favorite.

Just a little FYI: After 8 years of blogging, I have decided to become an Amazon Affiliate. This means I will occasionally share links to items on Amazon. If you use my link and then go on to purchase an item, I will earn a small commission. Please know I will only share products that my family uses and enjoys, or items that we are hoping to purchase. Thank you for supporting my little blog!

Disclaimer: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

No comments:

Post a Comment