Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Recipe: Maple Coconut Granola

We are big granola eaters in our house. Adam and I both love it. I know it isn't the healthiest thing to eat, due to the high calorie content and added sugar. So when Lucas recently started enjoying granola, I decided to try making a healthier version at home.

I have made granola many times before, but I've added various nuts and spices to it. This time, I was determined to make a very basic granola that tasted as similar to the store-bought version as possible. It took a lot of testing (and eating!), but I am happy with this version I came up with. It could be changed in a million different ways depending on your tastes. But 3 out of 4 of us love this granola, so I'm calling it a successful recipe.

Maple Coconut Granola

2.5 Cups Oats
1 Cup Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
1/3 Cup Pure Maple Syrup
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Egg Whites

1) Preheat oven to 300. Prepare large baking sheet by spraying with nonstick spray.
2) Combine oats and coconut in a large bowl.
3) In a medium bowl melt coconut oil completely in microwave. Mix in the maple syrup, vanilla, and egg whites.
4) Pour liquid into oat mixture and stir to combine.
5) Spread granola onto prepared baking sheet. *Do not spread too thin. Bake for 25 minutes.
6) Being careful not to break up the clumps, flip the granola over with a large spatula.
7) Bake for 25 more minutes or until light golden. Remove from oven and let cool and harden completely before eating.

* I love big clumps in my granola, which is why I don't spread mine too thin on the baking sheet. Big clumps are also easier for little hands to pick up and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment