Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Lucas: 1 Month

Lucas, you are one month old today! Time really does seem to be flying by with you and you are getting bigger each day. I can't believe how much you have already grown. Since birth (7 lbs, 8 oz), and then down to 6 lbs, 13 oz, you have grown back up to 10 pounds!
You are such a sweet little baby. For the first two weeks of your life you basically slept and nursed. Around that time you seemed to wake up to the world, becoming more alert and fussy during the day. You have periods now where you cry for what seems like no reason. You will be fed, changed, and rested, and you still cry even when rocked or walked around. In spite of that, I would still call you an easy baby.
You are a very efficient nurser! I remember Ryan liked to just "snack" for sometimes up to an hour at a time. You nurse on one side no longer than 15 minutes, and then you are often done. If you weren't gaining weight so well I'd be worried that you weren't getting enough milk! But when you are done nursing, there is nothing I can do to make you continue. If I try to nurse you again too soon, you let me know that you're not interested.

Nights are not too bad. I try to nurse you to sleep (swaddled) around 9 or 9:30pm. I put you in your bassinet and you will generally sleep until about 12:30. Then we get up and go into the nursery for a diaper change and another feeding. After that you will go back in your bassinet and sleep about 50% of the time. If that doesn't work, I often find that you just want to be held in order to fall back asleep. You don't like to be attached to me, nursing all night like your brother did. Instead you just like being close to me. Either way, whether in my arms or the bassinet, you generally don't want to nurse again until at least 4am. Like I said, you are an efficient eater!
On the day you turned 4 weeks old you gave me two very real smiles. I couldn't believe it! I smiled and said your name, and you looked at me and your whole face lit up. You have such a cute smile and it just melted my heart!

 Ryan calls you "B", and your Daddy has started calling you "Little B". I actually call you by your name, or sometimes "Lukey" or just "Baby".

Can't wait to see what next month brings! I love you little Lucas!

No comments:

Post a Comment