Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Dog Days of Summer

Well we have officially entered the dog days of summer....both literally and figuratively. 

In the literal sense, we are pet-sitting for a friend this week! Meet Shadoux.....the sweetest most gentle schnoodle we've ever met. She is a gentle giant and the kids have really been enjoying having her here for the week. They always ask me for a dog, so I thought this would give them a good taste of what it would be like.
We've been taking her on morning and evening walks, taking turns holding the leash, and fighting over who gets to clean up her poop. Just kidding. Ha.
Figuratively speaking.....we've run out of "summer" things to do. Maybe it's just me, but I absolutely thrive on having routine and structure to my days. The idea of days on end with nothing to do may sound nice, but in reality it exhausts me. Waking up without a plan for the day doesn't get me excited. Because in reality it means bored kids, whining, a messy house, and no sense of what is coming up next. We can't easily go anywhere because of covid, Adam is back at work, and we're just at home. A lot. 

I brought up the idea with the kids of starting school early. Our official start date is August 17th, but my thinking was that if we began school a week early, we'd have more flexibility to take time off throughout the year for things like vacations, family time, field trips, etc. Surprisingly, the kids were okay with this idea. I'm still thinking it over, but I have been busy getting everything ready for homeschool!
Are you keeping busy this summer? If you have any new ideas for how to keep kids occupied at home, send them my way! We're blessed to have all this time together, but I'm ready for a bit more structure and routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment