Saturday, May 19, 2018

Whole30ish Dinners

This past week I attempted to eat a mostly Whole30 diet. That means no grains, sugar, alcohol, dairy, or legumes. That can be very limiting, so I thought I'd document the 5 dinners we ate. If any of you do the Whole30 diet or just want to cut some carbs from your diet, maybe this will give you some ideas. We don't eat this way all the time. (Anyone else addicted to a bowl of cereal before bed?) But every once in a while I just feel like my diet needs a little reset. So this week I probably ate Whole30 90% of the time. Here are our dinners.

Tequila Lime Chicken, Raw Veggies, Guacamole, Spanish Cauliflower Rice
 I used this recipe for the chicken, and right off the bat I know it isn't Whole30 compliant because of the alcohol. But I figure it burns off when you cook it so ehhh it doesn't count. I wasn't super impressed with the taste of this chicken. I used this recipe for the Cauliflower Spanish Rice and it was delicious! Trader Joe's sells frozen riced cauliflower that is perfect for recipes like this. On the side I made our favorite guacamole and dipped raw bell peppers and cucumber in it.

Bacon Meatballs, Zoodles, Broccoli
 Oh my gosh these meatballs were fabulous. I used this recipe. Originally I planned on leaving out the breadcrumbs and cheese from some of the meatballs, and serving those to myself in order to keep it Whole30 compliant. But it ended up being too much work so I ate the meatballs, cheese and all. And it was worth it! 5 out of 6 of us loved these meatballs! Oh, I should mention that the recipe didn't instruct me to cook the bacon beforehand, but I still did. Rather than use wheat noodles I wanted to try zoodles. I don't own a spiralizer, so I simply sliced a zucchini really thinly and then cut into thin strips. I sautéed the zoodles in olive oil and garlic and the result was really tasty. (Kids had regular pasta with parmesan) On the side we had steamed broccoli.

Chicken Pot Pie Soup
 I used this recipe for chicken pot pie soup and it turned out delicious! I ate it for lunch the following two days and it only got better. I think using my freezer stash of homemade chicken broth really took it over the top. I wouldn't say it necessarily tasted like chicken pot pie, but very tasty nonetheless!


Chicken Sausage, Sweet Potato, and Apple, Side Salad
I needed a simple dinner, so I tried this recipe for Oven Roasted Chicken Sausage, Sweet Potatoes, and Apples. It was very easy to make...I just diced up the sausage, apple, one sweet potato and one white potato, tossed it in some seasonings and then roasted. Overall I didn't love the dish, but that may be because I just don't love sweet potatoes. I'm trying to make myself like them! I also made a quick salad of iceburg, cucumber, radish, and tomatoes.


Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos with Citrus Slaw, Guacamole, Pineapple
I tried this recipe for fish tacos with citrus slaw and I really liked it. Adam isn't a fan of fish tacos, but Ryan ate 4 of them! (He had his in soft corn tortillas with cheese). I ate my spiced fish sans tortilla, and instead ate it with a big serving of the citrus slaw. On the side I made our favorite guacamole again, and served it all with fresh pineapple.

And there you go....5 tasty Whole30ish dinners! I tried SO many new recipes this week! That doesn't always happen. But I love experimenting in the kitchen when I have the time. Which recipe looks the best to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment