Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Selective Hearing

Ryan has recently developed a condition. I have heard that it is common among 3-year-olds, as well as teenagers. He seems to have lost the ability to hear me.
For example, here's a typical scenario:

Me: Ryan, please come here.

Me: Ryan, come here.

Me: Ryan!

Me: Come here now or I'm going to start counting!

Me: 1!

Me: 2!

Me: If I get to 3 you will be in trouble!
At this point, Ryan may suddenly regain his ability to hear. But really, it shouldn't take me this long to get his attention. I'm thinking there needs to be a consequence for him not listening much sooner. But sometimes he is so intent on what he is doing, it almost seems like he's really not hearing me.
How do you discipline your child when they don't listen to you?

2 comments:

  1. If I feel like she's not listening to me, I get in her face. If I feel like she's just ignoring me because she doesn't like what I'm saying, I make it more immediate, like if you don't do what I'm asking RIGHT NOW, you will either be picked up and brought where I need you to go, or time out, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm a grandmother now, and my children still have selective hearing....

    ReplyDelete