Sunday, October 4, 2020

Recent Dinners - Quick and Easy

Ever since we added sports to our homeschool days a couple weeks ago, life feels busier than ever. I'm teaching the kids until about 1 or 2 every day, rushing around to clean up the house in the afternoon, throwing dinner together, and getting the boys to sports practices.  (They play 5 out of 7 nights a week). Add in evening Mops, Usborne book parties, and trying to have family time in the evening, and it's just not possible for me to spend hours in the kitchen. (Although I feel like I do!)

It's also officially the Fall season, and even though we've had temps in the high 90s, I'm tired of cooking "summer" food. I'm ready for soups, stews, and more comforting foods. So with all that said, here's what we ate over the past couple weeks.

This was a night when I intended to make green chicken chile enchiladas, but ran out of time. I did start pinto beans in the crockpot in the morning to turn into refried beans (SO good). But when dinnertime came, I decided a casserole would be easier than enchiladas. I basically layered corn tortillas, cheese, and seasoned chicken, with layers of green enchilada sauce in between. On the side I made white rice for picky kids.

Pioneer Woman's cajun chicken pasta! So delicious with tons of bell peppers (I think I doubled them). On the side I had carrots and dip.

This was a comfort food night of pot roast, potatoes, carrots, and a homemade cheddar biscuit. Plus some pineapple on the side.

On this night I had plans to make ribs in my instant pot. But when I opened up the package it was the worst smell I have ever smelled! So I made a quick switch and made breakfast. Bacon, crispy pan potatoes, smoothies.....and my first ever omelette! In my 38 years of life I have never made an omelette. But I'm a big fan now. They were so good! Mine had cheese, bell peppers, tomato and green onions.

I had some marinated salsa chicken in the freezer, so I dumped it in the crockpot in the morning, knowing it would be a busy day. I was right....I ate this taco at 8pm standing up in the kitchen. Chicken, cheese, tortilla and lettuce. Done.

Our favorite salmon is from Costco and it comes pre-seasoned. 5 out of 6 of us love it, so it's a big winner here. On the side I made quinoa topped with parmesan, and roasted veggies (asparagus, cherry tomatoes, and red onions).

I think this was another super busy night where I just needed a quick basic dinner. Rice, steamed broccoli/cauliflower, and pan-seared chicken breast. Dinners aren't fancy around here!

I really enjoyed this dinner! I cooked some ground turkey and made an asian bowl with steamed broccoli, edamame, and riced cauliflower stir-fry. I got this riced cauliflower from Costco and I'm a fan! You cook it in a pan for just a few minutes, and it's got a great mild asian seasoning on it. And it's cauliflower, not rice. Healthy and delicious, and I will be buying it again.

This was a friday night movie night at our house. I cooked chicken breast in the crockpot with BBQ sauce, shredded it and put it on delicious hamburger buns. On the side I made a little salad of cucumber and tomato topped with italian dressing. And finally, I scrounged around in the freezer and found some french fries/tater tots for a fun side.

What's been on your dinner menu lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment