Friday, October 16, 2020

Bodega Bay Day Trip

Back when we chose Marine Biology as our first homeschool science unit, I knew I wanted to plan a beach trip as a "family field trip". Unfortunately Adam doesn't have any vacation time right now, but I still wanted to plan a mini trip. My Dad offered to come along and help, so at the last minute we planned a day trip to Bodega Bay this week! We picked up cousins Bella and Lyla and loaded 6 kids 10 and under into the car. When we got to the Pinnacle Gulch Trail in Bodega Bay, we realized it was a 1 mile hike down to the beach. Quite an adventure!

 

The hike was worth it once we saw the ocean view.

The beach was virtually empty, and absolutely beautiful.

The beach is so much more fun with cousins!

Ryan found a ton of what looked like mini sand crabs down under the sand. They were the exact color of the sand, and ranged in size from a 1/4 inch to probably 2 inches. He spent hours capturing them inside my water bottle.
We've been reading this book all month, so I really wanted to find a tide pool with the kids. I was so excited when we finally did, once the tide went out!
Discovering all the starfish was probably the highlight of the beach day for me!
At one point we were both cold so Jenna and I huddled together.
And Lyla did a little sunbathing.
Many many rocks were climbed!

This girl may have gotten stuck on a high rock at one point, and cried until Grandpa climbed up and saved her.
Ryan was totally in his element all day.
And here is the only proof I have that Andrew was at the beach with us. Ha! 
We had to hike back uphill for 1 mile at the end of the day, and let's just say we were pretty tired afterwards! Andrew amazed me, and climbed by himself 90% of the way.
We said goodbye to the beach, and ever since Wednesday the kids have been asking me constantly when we can go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment