Thursday, May 14, 2020

I'm Cooking Again

Sometime back in March when the whole world was falling apart, I lost my love for cooking.  I was still making dinner every night, but let's just say our meals were a little lackluster. It felt like we were in survival mode, or on vacation, or I don't really know. Anyone else?

Sometime in April I got a bit of motivation back and decided to put some more effort in to our dinners. This quarantine feels like our new normal, we're in a good routine with distance learning, and we stocked up on groceries. So I took some pictures! Hope it inspires you to get out of your quarantine cooking rut.

Veggie Tostadas, Brown Rice, Fruit
I think this was a meal right before I stocked up on groceries, so I had to make do with pantry staples. I've discovered tostadas are a fast, tasty meal. I lay the corn tortillas on a tray in the oven for a few minutes, then top with things like beans, bell peppers, onions, corn, and taco seasoning. Top with cheese and put back in the oven until crisp and warm. On the side we just had brown rice and fruit.

Shortcut Chicken Parmesan, Tortellini, Broccoli
I rarely make traditional chicken parmesan, but instead make this lazy version. I thinly slice chicken breast and lay in a baking dish on a thin layer of marinara. Then I top it with croutons, parmesan, mozzarella, and a little more sauce. Bake for 30-40 minutes. The croutons melt into a crust and it mimics real chicken parmesan! On the sided we had cheese tortellini and steamed broccoli.

Chicken Tacos, Southwest Salad
We BBQ'd a pre-marinated chicken from Trader Joe's and then sliced up for tacos. I loaded it up with guacamole, lettuce and tomatoes. On the side we just had a bagged salad (also from TJ's) that had cabbage, pumpkin seeds, tortilla chips, and a zingy southwest dressing.

Tomato Soup, Grilled Cheese, Veggies and Dip
This was just creamy tomato soup from Trader Joe's, grilled cheese sandwiches, and raw veggies with tzatziki dip. Yum!

Sole, Baked Potato Wedges, Kale, Green Beans, Watermelon
I baked sole in the oven with salt, garlic powder, and lemon juice. It was SO tasty! On the side I made potato wedges and then sauteed green beans and kale in garlic and more lemon juice. We also cut in to the first watermelon of the season, and it was good!

Chili and Salad
I tried a chili recipe from my Magnolia Table cookbook. It was called Gaines Family Chili, I think. It was delicious! They recommended topping it with fritos, so I used the Trader Joe's brand of corn chips. On the side I made a big salad.

Chicken Sausage, Asparagus, Corn, Watermelon
I think this was a hot day, so we decided to BBQ. Chicken Sausage for us and hot dogs for the kids, as well as asparagus cooked with red onion and garlic, corn on the cob, and watermelon. Felt like summer!

Spaghetti, Homemade Sourdough, Broccoli
Spaghetti night is always a favorite (of mine!) I used my sourdough starter to bake a couple loaves of bread, and steamed broccoli on the side.

Chicken Pot Pie Soup, Green Beans, Crescent Rolls
Ok first of all, am I the only person who does NOT know how to make crescent rolls from a tube? I blame it on the fact that I did not grow up eating them. Everything was homemade and whole grain in my house!  So on this night the weather turned colder, and I made Magnolia Table's chicken pot pie. Except I didn't thicken it up, but instead served it over mashed potatoes. Plus green beans, and it was SO delicious!

So tell me, how much are you cooking these days?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete