Sunday, December 23, 2018

Grandpa Lewis' Olives

When I think of my Grandpa Lewis (my mom's dad), there are a few things that immediately come to mind. First, he was a quiet man. He had a wife and 4 daughters, so they probably did most of the talking for him. Second, he was a hard worker who I believe did not retire until he was in his 80's. And third, he made really delicious green olives.

I have never enjoyed the taste of olives....except for the ones my Grandpa used to make. They were green and I remember he had them in a tall skinny bottle and they were in some sort of vinegary brine. I finally got the recipe from my mom last year, and now I am starting the tradition of making my Grandpa's olives every year.


Grandpa Lewis' Olives

Ingredients:

1 can green ripe olives pitted
1 toe garlic
leaf oregano - 1 teaspoon
olive oil - 3 spoonfull
wine vinegar - 1 spoonfull
 The type of olives you use is very important. They need to be the green ripe pitted olives.
Also, I know some of the wordage the recipe is a little strange. This is exactly how it was given to me. I'm assuming the toe of garlic is a clove. For the leaf oregano I used dried oregano. I used red wine vinegar. And the "spoonful"? I am told by my Aunt it is a tablespoon.
The result is a delicious tangy bowl of green olives that get better the longer they sit in the marinade. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment