Friday, January 14, 2011

Foodie Friday: Bell Peppers

I love bell peppers because they are so versatile. I use them in all sorts of cooking, from Asian to Italian. We ate them twice this week.....first up was pizza!

I love making homemade pizza. It is much healthier than delivery pizza, and is fun to make. Trader Joe's sells balls of pizza dough for around $1 each, but it's pretty easy to made dough yourself. I like to top mine with lots of veggies, but Adam prefers pepperoni. We compromised this week with Turkey Pepperoni and green bell peppers.
Later in the week we had stuffed red bell peppers. I absolutely LOVE this recipe by Giada De Laurentiis. I have made it many times and it always comes out perfectly.

I also use bell peppers in asian cooking. I have made Thai Basil Chicken a few times using chopped chicken and green and red bell peppers and it is delicious! Bell Peppers are also delicious in Beef and Broccoli or any sort of asian stir-fry.

We also like putting bell peppers on skewers with meat and onions, and cooking them on the BBQ. Santa brought Adam a new skewer set for Christmas and I am anxious to try it out!

Finally, I use bell peppers in Mexican cooking. I put them in fajitas or even add them to refried beans when we have burritos.

So how do you cook with bell peppers? Right now is the perfect time to experiment with them.....their peak season is January through March.

No comments:

Post a Comment